Friday, June 3, 2011

If I change the pulleys on a riding mower to make it faster do I HAVE to disconnect or remove the governor?

My friend is making his riding lawn mower fast, and I was wondering if I just change the pulleys would I have to remove the governor, because I've heard some bad things about removing it or disconnecting it.If I change the pulleys on a riding mower to make it faster do I HAVE to disconnect or remove the governor?NO, you do not have to remove or disable the governor.



By putting a smaller pulley on the engine output shaft and/or a larger pulley on the %26quot;driven%26quot; shaft, you will get the ground speed increase without any change to the engine.



In fact, do NOT change the governor in ANY WAY!!!!!! The governor is there for two purposes:

1. To limit the maximum Rpm of the engine to protect if from destroying itself by %26quot;over-revving,%26quot; and

2. To open the throttle more as loads increase to maintain as close a possible an even, PRESET Rpm at all times.



Also, do NOT run the engine at throttle settings other than %26quot;wide-open%26quot; as most small engines do not have lubricating oil pumps, and depend on that preset Rpm to %26quot;splash%26quot; oil all over the inside of the engine to provide adequate lubrication of all interior engine parts.



This issue is so critical that Briggs-Stratton will not honor the warranty on a failed engine if there is evidence of tampering with the governor system!!!!!If I change the pulleys on a riding mower to make it faster do I HAVE to disconnect or remove the governor?I over rode the governor on a mower one time and blew the motor if that gives you a hint as to what will probably happen. I wasn't trying to go faster..just trying to power my way through some high grass and bang.If I change the pulleys on a riding mower to make it faster do I HAVE to disconnect or remove the governor?No if you change the size of the pulleys. Smaller drive pulleys will spin faster than bigger diameter pulleys.If I change the pulleys on a riding mower to make it faster do I HAVE to disconnect or remove the governor?No, you don't have to remove the governor. But bushwacker has it backwards on the pulleys. You want the larger pulley on the engine and smaller one on the transaxle to make it go faster.