Monday, September 19, 2011

Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?

I was wanting to paint my valve cover on my car and i heard that i have to replace my valve cover gasket if i remove the valve cover.

Is this true?Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?Any time you break the seal made by a gasket it needs to be replaced. They aren't that expensive and are cheap insurance against leaks. You obviously care about the appearance because you are painting it. Don't cut corners now.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?It's definitely suggestable.



Otherwise it will start to leak.



You might be able to carefuly mask around it and remove a few things - and just paint it in place.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?If it a cork gasket it must be replaced. If it a rubber gasket it can be reused if still flexible but it is still a good idea to use a new one.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?If it's a vortec engine you shouldn't need to replace the gasket. If it's 1987 or older you need to replace it.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?They are usually only a few bucks. Why fix up your engine, then let oil leak all over it?Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?The gaskets are real cheap. Just replace it.



Make sure you use RTV sealer at the edges and corners.





Good Luck....Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?Oh. The paint the valve cover guy is back.

Yes. Replace it/them. Old ones will be dry and cracked.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?It depends on the car. I almost never replaced it, even with a cork gasket.



The trick is to not tighten down the valve cover nuts really tight. All it needs to do is crates a seal to prevent oil splash from leaking out. You don't need to squash the gasket flat for that. There is no pressure behind it.



You can use a bit of sealant. If the gasket is very stiff or cracking it should be replaced.



Alternately you could just use the same gasket and keep an eye on it. If it leaks replace it.



It's not a critical gasket, so if you need to use the old one the engine won't explode.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?I work with those type of things all of the time .You can reuse the old gaskets ,but look at them to may sure that there not broken or cracked if not then ok to reuse.I've done it at least once or twice.Your bottom value cover bolts need to be a little tighter then the top ones so the oil doesn't leak out.I don't know if you know it or not , but the oil runs more at the bottomof the value crover.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?if it is a gasket manny cars use seals now that are reusableDo I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?Just get the new gasket if is not that expensive.Do I need to change the valve cover gasket when i remove the valve cover?Yes, don't chance it. Gaskets are cheap.