Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I change my name on a deed and remove a deceased co-owner's name?

My name changed and my father died. I am the sole owner of the property now.How do I change my name on a deed and remove a deceased co-owner's name?Open and complete a succession through an attorney.How do I change my name on a deed and remove a deceased co-owner's name?Record a copy of the death certificate for the co-owner. There is no need to change your name on the deed though. It is still valid. I would record a copy of the name-change order in the public records to avoid any trouble in the future if you are really worried, but I wouldn't bother. If you really want to change the deed, do a quit-claim deed from your old name k/n/a your new name to your new name. But then you have to pay doc. stamps on 1/2 the amount of any mortgages on the property. Hope this helps.How do I change my name on a deed and remove a deceased co-owner's name?Call the clerk of court and see if they can help you.It may just be a matter of taking a death certificate to the clerks office.